Here goes my first postcard from the Republic of Palau!! Thank you very much Daniel! I love it to see my collection grow and grow!!
Palau, officially the Republic of Palau,] is an island country located in the western Pacific Ocean. It is geographically part of the larger island group of Micronesia, with the country’s population of around 21,000 people spread out over 250 islands forming the western chain of the Caroline Islands. The islands share maritime boundaries with Indonesia, the Philippines, and the Federated States of Micronesia. The most populous island in the group is Koror, with the capital, Ngerulmud, located in Melekeok State on the nearby island of Babeldaob.
Here are some nice facts:
- Palau is often referred to as Belau.
- In the Pacific Ocean, Palau is a part of the Caroline Island chain. In 1500, European explorers first discovered the Caroline Islands.
- In 1783, Palau was accidentally discovered by the shipwrecked crew of Captain Henry Wilson when he reached the shores of Ulong.
- In the Republic of Palau, the highest point is Mount Ngerchelchuus (242m).
- In the First World War, Palau was occupied by the Japanese.
- USA began administration of Palau in 1947. Under the United Nations authority, the islands became a part of the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands.
- Palau and the combined States of Kosrae, Pohnpei, Chuuk and Yap (the Federated Stated of Micronesia), gained separate status in 1979.
- In 1981, The Republic of Palau came into existence.
- In 1985, the first President of the Republic of Palau was assassinated.
- Palau’s currency is the U.S. dollar.
- The languages spoken are English, Japanese, Palauan and 3 other local languages.
I send love!